Thursday, October 06, 2005

Paris Fashion Show (Part I)

I would have been depressed hadn't there been a Paris Fashion Show. I knew the best are here, and they just raised the bar of "good fashion".

I guarantee you that there are shows you just hate, not because of the quality of the design or the style, but because of the concept that you never get. I am a huge fan of Yohji Yamamoto's FW05 show, but the SS06 show disappointed me. I didn't get the whole camouflage theme. Some said that he had war in mind, but I thought that a master like him would not use such physical language. The good news is that everything else are standard Yohji style, and that made me feel better. Later, when Rei and Junya showed their latest design, I realized that Yohji was the best performer among the Japanese designers in Paris Fashion Show. To me, the Japanese designers are avant-guard and experimental, but they seem to have the same ideas over and over again without further developing them. They normally look "different", which is a good thing, but I wonder how many people on earth will be able to wear them. Fancy design without functioning. That is what I hate.
The following pictures are from the Yohji Yamamoto show. Picture courtesy of Style.com

No comments: