Tuesday, October 18, 2005

The opportunity cost of waiting

There was an article in the weekend Wall Street Journal, Escaping the Fashion Trap. The author suggested, "hold off on shopping at the beginning of a season". According to the author, waiting will improve consumers' odds of buying something that will have staying power and waiting can also help consumers to take advantage of the sales and pay less. She stated, "items sold out in boutiques can often still be found online".

My experience was completely the opposite, however. If you follow my blog, you might have read the article THE sale is only two months away. Let me give you an early update on my shopping luck.

The Yohji Yamamoto coat. I went to NYC in the past weekend and I tried the coat on at Barney's New York. It was gorgeous but I decided to wait for the sale. Waiting will save me $1,000. Two days later, however, I was informed that the coat was sold.

I also tried the same coat in the Yohji Yamamoto boutique. For some reason, that coat was bigger than the coat I tried on at Barney’s although both were size 1. I received a phone call today that the tailor was not able to adjust the shoulders due to the complicated construction of the coat. Therefore, I will have to pass because I don't want to pay for $3,000 buying a coat that doesn't fit.

I called a couple of stores. Alan Bilzerian in Boston also sells the same coat, but it was gone months ago and Bergdorf Goodman doesn't carry this specific coat. I am screwed.

I was also fond of the Balenciaga military coats. By the time I visited NYC, all the size 36 coats were sold. Louis Boston didn't even buy size 36. Those designer clothes are rarely available online.

I am paying the price of waiting. I have been dreaming about my statement coat for months and I've got nothing.

Anther important item in my wish list is a Lanvin skirt. First of all, Lanvin has very exclusive distribution; secondly, stores rarely purchase small sizes for somebody like me. The Lanvin racks at Barneys was almost empty when I visited.

I'm not sure if I am able to find the Marc Jacobs short jacket with Peter Pan collar when the sale starts. Frustrated by my shopping luck, I don't even care about that jacket any longer.

I also ordered a top from Chanel. A month has past, and I received nothing. The boutique needed to order the top from the Paris headquarter but the production and shipping have been delayed due to European vacations. I should have ordered it in the trunk show back in May.

If I am lucky, I will be able to find my Ann Demeulemeester clothes, Balenciaga slim pants, and something from Roland Mouret. However, my major acquisition goal is not achieved.

Not being able to purchase your dream clothes is the opportunity cost of waiting. The WSJ author might have a point of waiting for the sale, but for the hot items, you have to place the order right after the runway show. We need to have either sharp eyes to identify the hot items or a sufficient shopping budget to purchase clothes early in the season. I've decided to change my shopping strategy and place my order in trunk shows for the spring '06 season. Considering the opportunity cost of waiting, it is worth it to pay the full price for my dream items.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Long time no see at huaren.Any good buys recently? I am sorry to hear the story about your dream coat.---ayxblue

Anonymous said...

Oh, forgot to tell you the Saks F&F event at this weekend. 20% off for everything. Probably you will find something there.

Caffeine said...

That's great news Ayxblue. Thanks for sharing. I have not purchased lots of things but there are a lot in my "acquisition pipeline" :D I rarely come to huaren now...but I surely still enjoy fashion:-)

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you have updated your post, I am still waiting to see the pictures of your good purchases...

Good luck,

dinosaur

Anonymous said...

wow gold
buy wow gold
cheap wow gold
world of warcraft gold
runescape
runescape money
buy runescape money
wow gold
cheap wow gold
buy wow gold
world of warcraft gold
guild wars
guild wars gold
buy guild wars gold
maple story
maple story mesos
maplestory mesos
age of conan
age of conan gold
buy age of conan gold
aoc gold
buy aoc gold
age of conan
age of conan gold
buy age of conan gold
aoc gold
buy aoc gold
age of conan
age of conan gold
buy age of conan gold
aoc gold
buy aoc gold
wow gold
buy wow gold
cheap wow gold
world of warcraft gold
runescape
runescape money
buy runescape money
wow gold
cheap wow gold
buy wow gold
world of warcraft gold
guild wars
guild wars gold
buy guild wars gold
maple story
maple story mesos
maplestory mesos
age of conan
age of conan gold
buy age of conan gold
aoc gold
buy aoc gold
age of conan
age of conan gold
buy age of conan gold
aoc gold
buy aoc gold
age of conan
age of conan gold
buy age of conan gold
aoc gold
buy aoc gold
wow gold
buy wow gold
cheap wow gold
world of warcraft gold
runescape
runescape money
buy runescape money
wow gold
cheap wow gold
buy wow gold
world of warcraft gold
guild wars
guild wars gold
buy guild wars gold
maple story
maple story mesos
maplestory mesos
age of conan
age of conan gold
buy age of conan gold
aoc gold
buy aoc gold
age of conan
age of conan gold
buy age of conan gold
aoc gold
buy aoc gold
age of conan
age of conan gold
buy age of conan gold
aoc gold
buy aoc gold
wow gold
buy wow gold
cheap wow gold
world of warcraft gold
runescape
runescape money
buy runescape money
wow gold
cheap wow gold
buy wow gold
world of warcraft gold
guild wars
guild wars gold
buy guild wars gold
maple story
maple story mesos
maplestory mesos
age of conan
age of conan gold
buy age of conan gold
aoc gold
buy aoc gold
age of conan
age of conan gold
buy age of conan gold
aoc gold
buy aoc gold
age of conan
age of conan gold
buy age of conan gold
aoc gold
buy aoc gold