Monday, October 12, 2009

Yohji Yamamoto, Alexander McQueen

Paris fashion week ended with the inevitable failure of the Yohji Yamamoto brand and the theatrical (as always) Alexander McQueen show.

Yohji Yamamoto is one of those cult brands that only a small circle of customers follow. However, when every other brand is creating a niche to support its vision, Yohji has failed to do so. Balenciaga has used its Motocycle bags and the capsule collections to make profit, Givenchy remains THE place for evening dresses following "Breakfast at Tiffany's", Lanvin's evening dresses make women feel sexy and special, YSL has a loyal following among the 40+ socialites and its bags are selling well, and the list goes on. Yohji has nothing but Y-3 yet it took on Limi Feu to burn cash. The price point is also off although it isn't a problem unique to Yohji.

McQueen, on the other hand, has learned to be theatrical yet maintain its commercial success. No matter how shocking his runway presentation is.

McQueen is a Savile Row educated master in cutting fabrics. This show is an apex of his work in past seasons: All he has been working on is to cut a piece of fabric and make it visually striking. The computer generated prints are cut, draped and sewn to enhance the 3-D like images. He also attempted to create very structured looks with soft fabrics such as silk chiffon. As crazy as the runway outfits look, his showroom was filled with adapted looks ready for a commercial success. His formula works.








12 comments:

Wine Store said...

I found your post informative, helpful, and easy to follow. Amazing! You have write a very useful tips. These are very essential tips since time is very important.

Dining Room Furniture said...

Nice post. I really like this post very much. Can you tell me who did your layout? I’ve been looking for one kind of like yours. Thank you

Caffeine said...

Thank you guys! Dining Room Furniture, my husband did the layout for me, but I thought that you could somehow copy it? I'm no expert on this subject though!

manolo blahnik madrid said...

i must say that in Paris fashion week we can always find crazy design but still high fashion items
xoxo

Fashionstardome said...

Very fancy clothing! Great pics! I love the dresses!!!

louboutin chaussures said...

visite de votre poste et j'ai peur je vais devenir une fille Woo, parce que vos messages sont la haute couture et étonnant

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eyeglasses said...

These cloths are rocking. Paris fashion always bring something new for audience.

Haley Jacobs said...

So these are fashion clothes, but if you'd ask me, I would say this is crazy, I'd never wear those things! Only if I'd be paid enough :D

Online lingerie shopping india said...

very nice post with lots of information. designs are amazing.

Ray Grimm said...

It was very interesting for me to read this blog. Thanks the author for it. I like such topics and everything that is connected to them. I would like to read more soon.

Regards,
Ray Grimm

Elliott said...

Do you know anything about a Paris designer named Ursule Poney?
Many thanks!